What You Will Learn
Discover the basics of weight-loss diets—all based on authoritative health information from the National Library of Medicine.
Get answers to common questions asked about diets.
- What are the benefits of losing weight?
- What is a healthy diet plan?
- What is the key to losing weight?
- What are 5 popular types of diets?
- How else can you lose weight beyond dieting?
Diets Explained From the Experts Video
This video brought to you by The NASH Facts™ project—an organization committed to bringing you expert information from trusted sources related to fatty liver disease and NASH.
What Are the Benefits of Losing Weight?
If you are overweight or have obesity, losing weight can improve your health.
It might also help you prevent weight-related diseases, such as:
- Heart disease
- Some cancers
What Is a Healthy Diet Plan?
A healthy diet is an important part of a weight-loss program. It
- May include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products
- May include lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs and nuts
- Goes easy on saturated fats, trans fat, cholesterol, salt (sodium), and added sugars
What Is the Key to Losing Weight?
The key to losing weight is to burn more calories than you eat and drink. A diet can help you to do this through portion control.
What Are 5 Popular Types Of Diets?
There are many different types of diets. The 5 popular types of diets include:
- Mediterranean diet
- DASH eating plan
- A diet to lower cholesterol
- Fad diets
- Crash diets
Some diets, like the Mediterranean diet, describe a traditional way of eating from a specific region. Other diets, like the DASH eating plan or a diet to lower cholesterol, were designed for people who have certain health problems. But they may also help you to lose weight.
There are also fad or crash diets that severely restrict calories or the types of food you are allowed to eat. They may sound promising, but they rarely lead to permanent weight loss. They also may not provide all of the nutrients your body needs.
How Else Can You Lose Weight Beyond Dieting?
In addition to a diet, adding exercise into your daily life can help you to lose weight.
The NASH Facts™ Project would like to thank MedlinePlus from the National Library of Medicine and the NIH: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.
MedlinePlus brings together authoritative health information from the National Library of Medicine (NLM), the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and other government agencies and health-related organizations.
What You Should Remember
- Losing weight can improve your health if you are overweight or have obesity
- A healthy diet is an important part of a weight-loss program
- The key to losing weight is to burn more calories than you eat and drink
- Fad or crash diets rarely lead to long term weight loss